- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 2 tbsp of Olive Oil
- 2 Aubergines
- 2 Beetroots
- 3 Carrots
- 50g Red Lentils
- 1 Can of Chopped Tomatoes
- A Handful of Prunes
- 2tsp of Paprika
- 2tsp Mustard Powder
- 1tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 200ml of Vegetable Sock
For the topping:
- 1tbsp Vegan Spread
- 1tbsp Plain Flour
- 200ml Plant Milk , I used Alpro Oat Milk
- 1tsp Mustard Powder
- 20g Nutritional Yeast
- Black Pepper
- a handful of walnuts
- Pre heat the oven to 200c. Cut the aubergines into rounds, spread onto a baking tray and cover with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Roast the Aubergines for 15mins, remember to turn over half way through and add more oil if necessary.
- Slice the beets and carrots into rounds and boil in salted water for 10mins. Alternatively steam the root veggies in a steamer or using the microwave.
- Whilst the aubergines are roasting and the root vegetables are boiling/steaming start on the tomato sauce. Fry the onion and garlic in a table spoon of oil in a deep pan. After the onions have turned translucent add the can of tomatoes, stock, lentils, seasoning and prunes.
- Place a spoonful of the sauce into a casserole dish. Fill the bottom of the dish with rounds the of aubergines and then add a layer of sauce on top of the aubergines.
- Drain the root vegetables and layer into the dish on top of the sauce. Continue layering the dish with the vegetables and sauce.
To Make the Topping:
- Melt a table spoon of vegan spread and mix with an equal amount of plain flour to form a roux.
- Add the milk into the roux and add the mustard powder and nutritional yeast. Add black pepper to season.
- Cover the moussaka evenly with the sauce. Blend the walnuts in a blender and sprinkle across the top of the dish.
- Bake the dish in the oven for 20 minutes or until the top is golden.