Makes 8 Patties
Nothing beets these beetroot and kidney beans burgers!
Well, maybe not in the world of veggie burger that is. I mean, I’m not claiming they are as brilliant as Yayoi Kusama dot work piece or a Kandinsky painting (get the art ref) ,but the colours come close to a piece of art.
I suggest serving some avo with the burger purely for the zing the colours create. Simple and quick to make these burgers are as vibrant in flavor as they are in colour.
Hope you enjoy,
For the Patties:
- 3 Beetroots
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 400 ml Can of Kidney Beans
- 1 Slice of Bread
- 1 tsp Flax Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Mustard Powder
- 8 Bread Buns
- Vegan Mayo
- Iceberg Lettuce
- 2 Spring Onions
- 4 Tomatoes
- 4 Avocados
- Prep, dice the onion and grate the beetroot. Drain the kidney beans and mash them. To make the bread crumbs toast the bread then either pulse in a food processor or grate, alternatively you can buy pre prepared bread crumbs.
- Fry the onion in coconut oil until it begins to turn translucent. When the onion is soft add the grated beetroots.
- When the beetroots have cooked add in the cumin, mustard powder and flax.
- Transfer the cooked onion and beets from the pan into a bowl with the mashed up beans. Combine the mixture with the beans, then add in the bread crumbs to bind the mixture.
- Press spoonfuls of the mixture into a biscuit cutter onto a baking tray to form the patties.
- Bake in the oven at 180C for 10 minutes.
To assemble the burgers:
- Grill the burger buns under the grill for 2 minutes or until golden.
- Spread a layer of vegan mayo onto the bottom of the bun. Place a few iceberg leafs onto the mayo followed by tomatoes.
- The burger patties are added next followed by a spoonful of mashed avocado.
- Finish the burger with a few slices of spring onion and close the burger.